Saturday, May 08, 2004

Back from the terrible smoke chamber in Seletar Camp....... I shall now elaborate on the things that i actually did on that day
I and my platoon mates have to go thru 3 tormenting rounds in the smoke chamber.

First round: Went in with the complete suit and mask on. Den did head rotation, shoulder rotation and jumping jacks in there. After which, we were aksed to take off the mask to get in contact with the smoke. I tot tat the moment i took off the mask, i would be in tears. However, it turned otherwise. I was quite surprised that my eyes were okay but the smell was quite horrible. Den the instructors told me to walk to the exit. Before i reached the exit, my eyes were suddenly overwhelmed by a very sharp pain, my nose were like stuffed with wasabi and my face were like smeared with chili... What the heck!!! Now did i realise that the effects are delayed-acting not immediate... OuCH!!!

Second round: Went in without the mask... The moment i stepped into the room, i had to shout: "Gas! GAs! Gas!" and closed my eyes, stopped my breathing, and reached for the mask in my mask carriage bag(strapped at my left thigh). Cos i could not see, i tried putting on the mask the wrong way!!!! Luckily the instructors helped me to invert the mask back and i managed to put it on myself. Actually i am supposed to put on the mask in 9 seconds, but ... oh well... After the mask was on, i could feel a burning sensation on my face cos i took too long to mask on jus now. AFter which, i started carrying out the different drills (eating drill, drinking drill, immediate decontamination drill, blah blah blah) This round lasted for abt 25 min or so.. I almost died of heat cos the whole room has no ventilation at all!!!!!

Third round(The Hell Round): Went inside with the mask on. This time i had to carry out the canister-change drill. No kick man... Did it quite well.. Den the last event: TAke off the mask and OPEN my eyes and BREAAAAATHE... DEn, say out my rank, name (spelled out somemore) and NRIC no... AGain i did not feel anything even after i finished everything... The moment my legs start to move, the pain came back again and i was like "WAH LAN EH!!!!!!" This time the pain is worse cos i exposed my face for a longer time compared to the first round. When i got out of the room, my tears started to flow and my nose were running........ I clenched my fist very hard to endure that extremely stinging sensation... AT last!!!! After a while, the pain subsided and i felt a great sense of relief, WHOO!!!! My Cs smoke training has ended!!!!!!!

No comments: